Monday 25 June 2007

26JUN07 @ 00:11, Tue.

I have to admit I was skeptical when I read on the news (albeit, from various sources) that WWE wrestler Chris Benoit and his family were found dead in their home.

Admittedly, I am not a viewer of WWE telecasts, or other forms of its sports entertainment. However, I am aware of its history of sensationalism. And even the plot line of an "alleged," death, or plot to blow up the limo of chairman Vince McMahon. So, understandably, I was skeptical.

I am not a viewer of what WWE has to offer because of this analogy: One doesn't have to engage in alcoholism to know of its side effects. Similarly, and perhaps ironically, there are some who were initially skeptical of Mr. Benoit's death because of WWE's history of sensationalism and outlandish story lines, including the recent faking of Mr. McMahon's supposed death.

Certainly not to belittle or demean Messrs. Benoit and Guerrero's deaths, but this is a case where WWE is perhaps ironically a victim of its own sensationalism that results in doubt whenever a death of one of its own occurs in real life.

No comments:

Post a Comment